Franklin Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injury is a broad area of law that encompasses many types of accidents and injuries. Car accidents are the most common type of personal injury, although there are many other ways in which a person can get injured.
A personal injury case may involve lacerations and broken bones or more catastrophic injuries such as amputations, paralysis, disability, brain damage, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries. These injuries may require long-term or lifelong treatment, which can be costly.
In many cases, you can receive compensation for an injury, but there are some elements that need to be satisfied. If you have been injured by someone else’s negligence or reckless behavior, you may be able to file a claim and receive compensation for all your damages. Contact the Franklin personal injury attorneys at Beal, Nations & Crutcher to find out how.
Elements of a Personal Injury Claim
In order to file a valid personal injury claim, you need to satisfy these four elements:
- Duty. The person must have owed the victim a duty of care. For example, doctors owe patients a duty of care, as do motorists on the roadway.
- Breach. When a person does not meet their duty of care, they have breached it. They may breach it by acting recklessly or being negligent.
- Causation. The person’s negligent behavior must have directly caused the accident.
- Damages. The accident must have led to damages, such as injuries, lost wages, and medical expenses. If a person was involved in an accident but was not injured, then they cannot recover any compensation.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Personal injury cases may include the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Airplane accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse/neglect
- Defective products
- Dangerous chemicals
- Workplace accidents
- Construction accidents
- Dog bites
- Birth injuries
- Slips and falls
- Premises liability
Damages Available in a Personal Injury Case
Any of the above accidents can cause a victim to suffer damages, which are grouped into three major categories:
- Economic damages. These are damages that can be easily calculated, such as medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and other monetary losses.
- Non-economic damages. These damages have to deal with emotional issues, such as pain and suffering, anxiety, mental distress, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of companionship, and loss of guidance. These damages are hard to calculate, so the courts will look at factors such as the severity of the injury as well as the age and occupation of the victim.
- Punitive damages. These damages are available in severe cases of reckless or intentional behavior. These damages are meant to punish the offender for their behavior.
Contact Us Today
Injuries can happen in a variety of ways. If you have been seriously harmed by someone else’s negligence, seek legal help right away to understand your rights.
The law firm of Beal, Nations & Crutcher will help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Call (615) 861-2304 to schedule a consultation.