Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Brentwood Divorce Attorneys > Brentwood Child Support Modification Attorney

Brentwood Child Support Modification Attorney

The need to continue financially supporting a child doesn’t end with a couple’s separation or divorce. Instead, this obligation will be made more formal through a child support order issued by a Tennessee family law court. These awards are based on a number of factors, including both parents’ incomes, the number of children being supported, and how much time each parent spends with the child in question.

Over time, however, the things that affect these factors could change. For instance, a parent may lose his or her job or obtain new employment, or the custody arrangement could undergo a major change, with the child spending more time with the non-custodial parent. In these situations, parents can ask the court to modify their child support obligation, so if you believe that your own child support order is no longer appropriate, you should think about reaching out to a dedicated Brentwood child support modification attorney for assistance.

When Can I Request a Modification?

In Tennessee, parents can request a modification of their child support obligation when there is a significant variance (15 percent difference) between the current and proposed amount. Issues that could justify a modification include:

  • A significant decrease in one parent’s income;
  • A child’s new or worsening disability;
  • One parent’s imminent relocation;
  • An increase in childcare costs;
  • The birth or adoption of another child;
  • Sudden disability, injury, or illness; or
  • A change in the custody arrangement.

Parents who can prove that one of these types of events has led to a significant variance can request a modification of their child support order by filing a petition in court. It is not, however, always necessary to provide proof of a significant variance to obtain a child support modification. If, for instance, a child has changing healthcare needs, then the court will consider a request for modification, even if the change won’t result in a significant variance.

Requesting a Change

To request a change in child support, the petitioning parent will need to file a formal request with the clerk of the court. This petition should lay out the factual and legal reasons for the change and should also provide in-depth information about the parties’ incomes, the current child support order and parenting plan, current childcare expenses, and if appropriate, increasing healthcare-related costs. Obtaining the documentation from which this information can be collected is difficult, especially if the child’s other parent is unwilling to cooperate. For help collecting this information and drafting a petition that will give your own request the best possible chance of success, please reach out to our office today.

Legal Advice When in Need

At Beal, Nations & Crutcher, our dedicated Brentwood child support lawyers are well-versed in all aspects of family law. Our team members have experience not only as attorneys, but also as judges, magistrates, and mediators. Call us at 615-861-2304 or complete one of our online contact forms to schedule a meeting with one of our skilled lawyers.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Franklin & Brentwood Divorce
MileMark Media

© 2022 - 2024 Beal, Nations & Crutcher. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.